The “Products & Services” section of your business plan pinpoints the problem and need in your market, and what you are providing to fulfill that need. Here are things to include as you’re writing this section of your plan:
Products & Services Contents
Problem & Solution
- Define the Problem that you are solving for your customers. How are they solving these problems today, and how can you do it better/cheaper/more convenient? Why is there a need for a coffee shop like yours?
- Describe your Solution in your offered products (or services) in detail. What are the benefits of your coffee shop? How does it solve the problem your customers have? What sets your solution apart from others?
Products & Services
- Products- Create a menu of the products you’ll be offering including coffee & specialty espresso drinks, non-coffee drinks, bottled drinks, food items and other items. Describe any unique product ideas you may have and what will set your products apart from other coffee shops. Start thinking about who you want as your roaster. Generally be able to back up your menu with research, keeping in mind your demand, and that meeting demand drives success.
- Services- include services provided if they apply, such as catering, delivery or custom baking.
- Pricing- set prices for your menu. What sort of customers make purchases and how much will it cost them? This information will also come from the marketing and financial section, which can then be summarized here.
- Sourcing & Fulfillment- detail where your products are coming from and how they’ll be delivered to you. You can include general costs, but they can be in depth in the financial section.
recognize demand because demand drives success
This section should directly answer exactly what you’re selling to your customers and why. Start with what you know, and then let the marketing and financial research in the upcoming sections continue to develop your plan of action as you learn what the demand is for your coffee, how much people are willing to pay, and how much it will cost you to remain sustainable in meeting these demands.
Click here to download this Dream|a|Latte Products & Services Checklist for writing your coffee shop business plan! It’s also applicable and helpful in starting a plan for any business.
Other Coffee Shop Business Plan Sections:
- Company Description
- Marketing: Market/Industry Analysis & Competitive/Internal Analysis, & using the Marketing Mix
- US Small Business Administration
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Running & Starting a Coffee Bar
- MSU Business Management Program
Note: As a fellow aspiring entrepreneur that simply wants to share my journey with you, know this is information I’ve gathered from various books on starting a coffee shop, business websites, and courses that have helped me in writing my business plan to start a coffee shop. I only hope to share some of these resources to help you get started and inspired, however this is by no means extensive. All materials available in this series are for informational purposes only, and not to be business consulting or legal advice– so do contact a licensed consultant, accountant, or attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.